Care of Glasses
Glasses, by the very fact that they are used regularly, will undergo wear and tear and inevitably small problems will occur over time. Even designer products, with their superior build quality, will suffer from scratches and breakages if not properly cared for.
As with any eyewear investment, prevention is better than cure. The following is a simple guide to maintaining your designer glasses and sunglasses in the best possible condition.
- Clean your glasses daily but only clean lenses with the manufacturer supplied optical cleaning cloth (eg. Oakley eyewear comes with a specially-woven electrostatic Microclear™ bag for cleaning and storage) or optometrist approved products. Cleaning with paper products is not recommended as this can scratch lens coatings.
- Do not use any unapproved solvents or chemicals when cleaning lenses or frames.
- Always store your eyewear in a protective case when not in use. A hard glasses case is considered best.
- Use two hands when putting on or taking off your glasses ensuring that you have a good grip. This ensures that the frame is not stretched and remains correctly aligned. Always avoid touching the lenses.
- Putting glasses and sunglasses on your head is considered a ‘no no’. This can cause them to distort and fall off, damaging them further.
- Never leave your glasses on a hot surface or a car in direct sunlight. Intense heat can damage lens coatings and frame hardware.
- Check your glasses regularly for signs of wear as well as alignment by standing in front of a mirror.
- Do not attempt to repair your damaged designer eyewear yourself as this may void any warranty.
Remember that damaged glasses can affect your vision and may cause eyestrain.